Drag just below liver, hepatomegaly, GB polyp calcification. Treatment ?

Question
I am 37 year mother of two kids 10 & 7. Height 161cm, weight 67 kg. I feel a drag just below the liver. Sonoscan reveals hepatomegaly and a GB polyp calcification. What treatment is best for me?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. The dragging feeling that you have just below the liver is due to hepatomegaly and it can be due to fatty liver or non alcoholic fatty liver disease in your case. Gall bladder polyps are small growths in the wall of the gallbladder and are an incidental finding on ultrasound when an ultrasound is done for liver or right lower chest.

Mostly small polyps are benign and harmless but they often have the potential to develop into benign tumors or adenocarcinomas. Hence it is best to get the gall bladder removed by cholecystectomy/ laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

For hepatomegaly, get your liver enzymes checked. The serum ALT level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. So get your serum AST, ALT levels done. Also you need to get a CT scan done to confirm the diagnosis. My sincere advice would be to consult a hepatologist. Treatment of fatty liver depends on the cause of fatty liver and hepatomegaly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Drag just below liver, hepatomegaly, GB polyp calcification. Treatment ? 12 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I am satisfied with your answer. Only a little more question.
I do not take alchohol. My LFT on 1.6.11 SGOT 26, SGPT 21, BILIRUBIN 1.25; On 19.1.11 SGOT 22.2, SGPT 22.5, BILIRUBIN 0.75; On 22.6 10 SGOT 27 SGPT 19 BILIRUBIN 1.3. Is the medication I am presently taking adequate? I shall of course abide by ur suggestion to consult a hepatologist. For laparoscopic cholecystectomy I plan a date tentative on 3rd week of July at Apollo Chennai. Is this hospital best for the procedure?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your liver function tests are perfectly normal. Hence you don't need Liv 52. However it is better to continue Udiliv in view of the hepatomegaly which most likely is due to fat deposition in the liver.

Hospital of Apollo Chennai is very good and you can plan a laparoscopic cholecystectomy over there.