Down with fever. Having pain behind both ears. Cheecks are red and bloated. Infection or sinus?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
I CAME DOWN WITH A FEVER ON SATURDAY AND NOW ITS GONE BUT HAD PAIN BEHIND BOTH MY EARS AND WENT AROUND MY EARLOPES AN UP TO BOTH CHEECKS WHICH ARE RED BLOATED. I THING IT MIGHT BE INFECTION IN MY SINUS OR WHAT????????

No Diabetes yet, but runs in my family.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT and head and neck surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me tell you that you do not have anything to worry about and that your problem is easily treatable.

You seem to have not a sinus infection but most probably an infection of your parotid gland which is just below the ear lobes and fills the cheek. This will also substantiate the finding of cheeks being red and bloated.

You need to do these so that the infection will become better:
1. Apply hot fomentation on the area with a clean cloth
2. Drink plenty of warm fluids and hydrate yourself properly
3. I would normally start a course of antibiotics like amoxcycillin-clavulanate for my patients. You may ask your doctor about these.
4. Take only soft and bland diet for the next one week

In all probability you may get better in a week or so. If you do not get better or if the symptoms worsen then you may need to consult an ENT or get back to me.

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to answer any more

take care

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan