Doubts, habit of asking re confirmation questions. How to stop this ?

my wife hhas a mania of asking qustion of confirmation after doing a job. example.after closing the door in the night she will ask after coming to bed is the door closed by me canu check again, before going out of house she will close window but again after just going out she will ask is the window open, after giving me her mobile in my pocket she will again ask after some time is the mobile with you ...... how to stop this mania
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Mania
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     31 year old female
•     Complain of doubts in routine activities and need for re assurance

First your wife do not has mania. In mania usual symptoms are: over cheerfulness, decrease sleep, overspending, overreligiosity, increase talk and irritability.

She appear of obsessive doubts which is frequently occur in anxiety disorders.

She may need consultation with psychiatrist for final diagnosis after detailed interview, mental status examination and to treat her doubts. Usually treatment needed when symptoms causes significant dysfunction in routine life.

For treatment cognitive behaviour therapy and drug therapy usually used depending on availability and diagnosis.In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.