Doubt to have psoriasis in pubic area. Had itchiness and scaling. Now pregnant. Suggest cure?

Hi Dr Grief,

I have what I think is psoriasis in my mons pubis area. I've had itchiness and scaling there unfortunately for many years. I am now 7 weeks pregnant. Aside from the possibility of infection of the area because of scratching, could this condition pose any danger to my pregnancy? Do you usually advise women in similar situations to wait until after giving birth to use something, or is coconut oil ok? I am scheduled for an appointment with an OB nurse in 2 weeks and in 4 weeks with an OB.

Thanks, XXXXXXX Honda, ND
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psoriasis does not affect the pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Psoriasis as such is a chronic skin problem and does not affect the pregnancy or delivery if there is no infection in the area. You can use mild topical moisturizing agents like coconut oil or aloe vera gel for symptomatic relief.
It is best to wait till the delivery for any specific long term treatment as all the medicines prescribed are category D or E drugs which are not recommended for use during pregnancy unless there are sever flare ups.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.