Doubt having Cancer, pdf attached for reference

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I'm not sure if you can help me but I'm trying to get an opinion on my sister's claims she has contracted Cancer. Sadly (for reasons I won't go into) I do not believe her and I feel this is attention seeking. I have attached the scenario as she has explained it (Claim.pdf). Many thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later

Has your sister lost weight recently

Does she have any visible health issues like cough, bony abnormality

I have reviewed the attached document.

It is hard to be certain and commit on possible diagnosis in her case. Though I would like to say that tumour in the lung is usually XXXXXXX Since she is a non-smoker and considering her age, Primary lung tumor in most cases is unlikely.

There is no such bone cancer which requires only radiotherapy unless it has already spread to many parts of the body and all that is left to do is give palliative therapy to reduce pain, improve damaged body function etc. But since she is up and about and not admitted in hospital, it seems unlikely.

It would be best to discuss this issue with her and find out the exact problem bothering her and also talk to her Doctor and her closest kin regarding her condition.

Usually as the person has not lost much weight recently, no change in personal appearance despite claimed radiotherapy sittings, it is less likely to be having multiple tumors.

Kindly do get her to confide in you and discuss this issue, for you are probably the most important person in her life.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Doubt having Cancer, pdf attached for reference 2 hours later
Hi Aashish

Thank you for the response.

No, she hasn't lost any weight nor does she have any obvious health issues - she is extremely healthy!

So, in conclusion and based on the very basic information I've provided you it is extremely unlikely that if somebody of her age did contract cancer in their hips, knee and ankle and it had also spread to the lungs it is unrealistic/unlikely they would only have radiotherapy on its own as a treatment?

Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

There is no conclusive evidence of a major illness in the situation as she appears healthy, not lost weight, no effects of radiotherapy like redness of skin etc.

Also since she is up and about she is pretty healthy for a person undergoing radiotherapy for a disseminated cancer.

Do spend time with her and get to understand her story and help her.