Double stent in left kidney. What are the precautions & details of procedure for removing the stent?

I am having a double j stent in my left side kidney and its going to be removed tomorrow. Before removing the stent, is there any care to be taken from my side? what is the procedure for removing the stent? how long it will take to remove my stent and what are the complications after removing the stent?XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

I understnd ur problem.
Removal is done by cystoscopy, that it by passing an instrument with camera thro the urine passage.
It is a five minute procedure and is usually done under local anesthesia.
At times, the doctor might consider giving a sleeping dose injection, just before the procedure, if the stent was kept for a longer time.
So, its better to be fasting for about 6 hrs if plan is to give sleeping dose.
If the doctor has already told u that he is going to do under local anesthesia, u need not fast.
It is a simple procedure and there is no need to worry.
There may be some burning in urine after the procedure, which settles with medicines in a few days.
Kindly get back for doubts, if any.

DR G Srinivasan, urologist.
Follow-up: Double stent in left kidney. What are the precautions & details of procedure for removing the stent? 43 minutes later
After removing my stent, when can i go to my work?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Thanks for ur query.
You can work practically the next day.
It is a very minor procedure that takes hardly ten minutes.
The day of removal there might be some blood in urine due to instrumentation ( passage of the cystoscope). Urine should be clear the next day onwards. Just now i removed one! just to reduce your anxiety! I removed it by 4 pm. He has gone home now and he can go for work tomorrow.

Hope i answered ur query. Take care,

Dr G Srinivasan, urologist