Double pneumonia, sepsis, respiratory failure, cough. Prescribed zithromax. What is happening?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i had double pneumonia 7 months ago, along with sepsis and respiratory failure. Now i am sick again april 16. what i cough up tastes like iron. i am exhausted and am having trouble getting a XXXXXXX breath without coughing. they sent me from urgent care to er. At the er they gave me zithromax and cough medicine. i seem to have something really wrong with my lungs and the doctor at the earlier hospital 10 day stay in september 2011 did not have any answers but pneumonia no cause. what i feel today is real similar to how i felt in the hospital. just cant get a full breath and cough cough cough, here is the kicker....I DONT SMOKE!!!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 hours later
Hi there.

I can understand your concern for your health condition. Kindly do answer a few queries for me to be in a better position to help you.

Have you been having recurrent attacks of pneumonia ?

Do you have diabetes ?

Do you bring out blood stained sputum ?

According to the clinical picture it appears to be severe pneumonia of both the lungs from which infection has spread into the blood as well. There could be many reasons for this to get so widespread in your body. Low immunity is to blame. Possibility of diabetes, immune-deficiency disorders, Cystic fibrosis, COPD with acute pneumonia attack.

The basic management includes treating the pneumonia with antibiotics, ensuring relief in breathing by drugs like Deriphyllin and respiratory exercises and physiotherapy, proper protein XXXXXXX nutrition and hydration.

If you are bringing up blood in your sputum, your blood hemoglobin level needs to be checked. If it is low, you may need Iron supplements or if very low, a blood transfusion.

The underlying lung disorder could be due to COPD, Cystic fibrosis, Congenital emphysema or other chronic lung conditions. This needs to be treated once the pneumonia is cured. A Pulmonologist will offer various options for treatment based on your Pulmonary Functions Tests.

Eat a balanced diet XXXXXXX in proteins, calcium, fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as a lot of protein is lost in sputum and the anti-oxidant effect of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables will help reduce the inflammation and damage in the lungs. Drink plenty of water to maintain good hydration. Exercise moderately daily for better immunity.

Avoiding allergens, pollutants, damp environment which will be teeming with XXXXXXX fungi and going near sick persons will keep you relatively safe from infections to lungs.

Once your pneumonia settles, the Pulmonologist shall perform some tests and be able to figure out the root cause for your lung disorder. Try to remain positive in these tough times and you shall surely gain.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.