Dont want erections in the night. How can erection be prevented?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 75 years old, a widower. I don't ever need or want an erection again, ESPECIALLY during the night. How can I perminantly prevent erections?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Have these erections increased recently ?

Does the erection last for long and cause a lot of pain ?

Usually erection occurs when the male hormone performance is working alright. It is part of male sexual expression.

When one is sexually stimulated erection usually occurs. Sexual stimulation can occur by thoughts as well. Sometimes erections occur when least expected even without any form of sexual stimulation. These cannot be prevented.

Certain medical conditions or medication can cause prolonged painful erections called Priapism which need to be addressed immediately as they can be XXXXXXX

I can advise to keep yourself busy, go for a long walk in the late evening so that you are really tired and need to sleep early at night. This way you wouldn't have much time for yourself at night to think or experience an erection as well.

The more you keep busy by doing certain pleasurable activities and hobbies, the less time you will have for yourself to think of anything else.

Kindly eat a balanced diet. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day, preferably in the late evenings after dinner. Do Yoga for stress relief.

If you really desire a medical or surgical method to prevent erection, you may consult a Vascular surgeon for the same.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.