Done with thyroid and cholesterol test. Do I have Hashimoto's diease?

Do I have Hashimoto's diease? My thyroglobulin AB is 433 (normal 0-80) and thyroid peroxidase AB 431 (normal 0-120) however TSH is 0.86 mIU/L (normal 0.40-4.00). Also my cholesterol has elevated to 6.0 (3.5-5.5 range)
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

As you have said that your TSh is 0.86 which is normal , high thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase level , also high cholesterol.

In western countries , including australia , autoimmune disease is very common , especially in individuals with age >50.

When you have high thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase level , which forms a disease known as CHRONIC AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS and Hashimotos is one sub-type of it.

10 % of individuals in world have high thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase level with normal TSH and hence no thyroid problem such as chronic autoimmune thyroiditis.

These people have high tendency to go into hyper / hypothyroidism.

In your case I cannot label you as Hashimotos until your TSH rises above 4.5 with positive antibodies and till then , you can be simply be placed in chronic autoimmune thyroidistis.

It is said that if you have positive thyroglobulin with peroxidase antibodies , diabetes and adrenal gland problems should also be seen by testing them , as all these diseases share the same antibodies.

As you have said that you have high cholesterol , this shows that you have a tendency to go into hypothyroidism in next 5 years.

I would recommend 2 monthly TSH , T3 , T4 level , with cholesterol monitoring.

Right now you don't need any treatment for thyroid , but do need exercise and diet check , to decrease the cholesterol.

I hope this explains your query in detail.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Your feed back is important to US.