Done with tests for weight gain. Worried. What are the findings from the report?

i have got some test done for my wife as her weight is gaining speedly as we got married in dec 2012 and till date she has gained 14kgs in 8 months .And am worried as its still increasing day by day....
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further investigation and treatment required

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the reports that you mailed me.

The thyroid profile test result is bit conflicting. Your wife's TSH is normal while T4 is little high. This is not possible under normal circumstances. I would like to request you to repeat the test in a different laboratory asking for T3, T4, and TSH levels.

In the urine analysis report, it seems like your wife has a urine infection with 10 - 15 pus cells. This needs treatment with antibiotics. A course of Norflox TZ will definitely help to get rid of the urine infection. This is a prescription drug. Please get it prescribed by her weight gain problem, I still think she has under-functioning thyroid or some hormonal imbalance. Is her periods regular? Does she have something called PCOD or any other hormonal problem? Is she on any medications like oral contraceptives? Let me know about these.

Please repeat the thyroid function tests and write back to me.