Done with semen analysis. What are the findings from the report?

Dec 2012

Hi dear Dr.

I have done a semen analysis after non pregnacy of 2 years, the results of the test came as follows,
Volume is 2.0
Visosity is SL. VISCOID
Liquifaction is 30
Reaction is Alkaline
pH is 8
Colour is Turbid White
Microscopic: Total count is 142 million/cc
Immediately motile 60%
After one hour 50%
After 3 hours 35%
After 24 hours 5%
Motility score is 3 and the in the report its written is good
Normal sperm 60%
Abnormal head 15%
Abnormal body 15%
Abnormal tail 10%
Aggregation of Spermatozoa 6-8
WBC 2-4
RBC 1-2

Please comment on the analysys results & advise

Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sperm analysis seems to be normal

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

There seem to be no major abnormality (that can conclude that you have fertility problem) in your semen analysis. With the presented results I can conclude that you are in good shape and can actually conceive. In the other hand, your partner also needs to be examined and evaluated to determine if the problem of conception is not from her side. If both of you are fine, then all you need is optimize the chances of you getting a child by attempting sexual intercourse at period of ovulation. You can get ovulation detectors or optimize sex around the 14th day from start of your partner's menses.
Also advised to see a fertility specialist for further assistance.

Hope this helps and wish you both the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Done with semen analysis. What are the findings from the report? 10 hours later
Well, thanks doctor for your reply, it is encouraging and positive. However, I have done a small research on the internet about this analysis and I understood that despite all the satisfactory results, there should not be any White Blood Cells (WBC) or Red Blood Cells (RBC) in the semen, which according to my understanding means there is someting wrong and most probably an infection.

With regards to my partner, she is seeing her own doctor and yes she is having a slight problem which some sort of very small bags (I do not know the medical term for it) accumulating inside the womb. Her doctor requested that I carry out the semen analysis, and if it turns that the problem with is with the wife, she will be given injections to enlarge the size of the eggs and prepare the for fertilization. So, having the semen analysis results in hand for the next appointment will help deciding which step to take.
Shall we also consider the Artificial Insemination??

Anyways, would you please give other alternatives and options.. Shall we consider IVF or ICSI??

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
WBC is normal, RBC presence is abnormal

Detailed Answer:

You are right about the presence of blood cells. The quantity of WBC (white blood cell) in your semen is quite normal and should not bother you much while the presence of RBC (red blood cell) on its own in some situation might signify infection or mild testicular injury or UTI. In any case, I should not be very concerned about the RBC but your doctor should get to do a urine culture and semen analysis. Do not forget that the RBC could have come from urethra which makes its presence insignificant and must not necessarily mean infection.
The balls in your wife's uterus or womb or pelvic region could be fibroids or polycystic ovaries and both conditions when severe could be a major cause of infertility of in a woman of reproductive age.
How ever both conditions can be remedied if not too severe and given ovulation stimulators can help with your wife's condition.
Also artificial insemination should be considered last resort as successful rate depends on your wife's reproductive condition i.e the situation of her womb.
So, I suggest you trust your doctor (s) on the options he might take in order to help both you and wife get a child.

Wish you both the best.
Dr. Nsah