Ask a Urologist   »  

Done with master health check up. Diagnosed with left lower pole renal calculus last year. Any effect of stone being in inter polar region?

Dear Dr. Last week I did my master health check up.

the report says:
Right kidney measures 10.6 cms. Right kidney show normal echopattern with no evidence of calculi or calyceal dilatation. Left kidney measures 10.2 cms. A calculus measuring 3 mm is seen in the inter polar region. No evidence of calyceal dilatation. Prostate measures 3.7 x 3 x 3.2 cms and shows normal echopattern. Seminal vesicles appear normal. Bladder is normal in contour. Both iliac fossae appear normal.
previous year - I have been diagnosed with left lower pole renal calculus (0.58 cms).

Does this mean that the stone/calculi has reduced in size.

what does the effect of stone being in interpolar region against the previous lower pole.

I didnt get a chance to XXXXXXX the physician, so I would like to clarify this topic.

thank you in the meanwhile.

Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, take plenty of fluids.

Detailed Answer:
As of now, without benefit of other reports it would be difficult to say if a particular stone has come down in size. It can happen, but rarely, i.e. in less than 10% of individuals who have what we term 'pure uric acid stone' which can come down in size with increased fluids and alkalinization of urine.
In the rest of 90% of patients, what usually does happen is that a small stone is formed, and if a patient does increase his fluid intake, it spontaneously passes off. Being so small, such stones do not cause any pain and are not even noticed when they are passed in urine. Once the metabolic factor which caused the stone to form initially recurs, as for example at a time of fasting or poor fluid intake, such stones do form again, and I guess this is the more likely scenario in your case.
The lower pole or mid-pole of kidney usually has bearing only for the treating urologist, as lower pole stones, if large, do not clear well after treatment unlike a stone in upper pole. This is because of gravity induced issues, and at present, a 3mm stone in upper pole or lower pole is extremely unlikely to cause trouble. Hope I have been able to reassure you.