Done with mastectomy. Pain on the side of the breast removal and palpable nodules across chest.

My 96 yo mother had a mastectomy two years ago. Until recently, she had pain only on the side of the breast removal. And some toward the back, same side. In recent weeks the pain has circled around her ribs to be on both sides, and she had palpable nodules across her chest at the top of the rib cage. We called hospice in three weeks ago and she has has a good deal of pain relief with oral morphine supplemented by oxycodone for breakthrough pain. However, any movement is painful. She sleeps a lot, but is talkative and witty when up. She is strong woman!
I know that no one can tell us how long she has. We have done no testing because it made no sense to put her through that. I am just wondering if there is a range of expectation you can give us. I don't want to be counting on months if we're looking at weeks.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
prognosis is poor

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

After analyzing your mothers query, as there is already palpable nodules over the chest- that means it is locally advanced recurrence of cancer breast or it could be enlargement of XXXXXXX mammary nodes. From the history I feel she might be in STAGE III, and the prognosis in that case is poor considering her age and health status. From the time of diagnosis to treatment the survival rate is 70% (5 year survival rate).

We cannot say the exact survival age of your mother, but can only say it is poor.
Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit.

Good luck!!