Done with lipid profile tests. Taking storvas. Correct medicine?

Question
hi i XXXXXXX my cholesterolis 234.triglyceride 59.HDL CHOLESTEROL IS 56.LDL CHOLESTEROL 166.VLDL CHOLESTEROL IS 11.80.NON HDL CHOLESTEROL IS 178.PLEASE SUGGEST MEDICINE. I AM TAKING STORVAS 10 MG DAILY FROM 20 DAYS. IS IT A VERY GOOD SALT. OR SOULD I TAKE ANOTHER..WHICH THINGS SHOULD I AVOIDE AND WHICH SHOULD I EAT.HOW MUCH PERIOD I TAKE MEDICINE.WHEN I SHOULD I TEST LIPID PROFILE AGAIN. PLZ SUGGEST
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The total cholesterol is 234- this is borderline high, borderline high is a value between 200 and 239. If it was greater than 240, it would be considered high.Borderline means that there is room for improvement but it is not considered too high.
A triglyceride level of less than 150 is considered normal , so your value at 59 is excellent.
HDL of 56 is also excellent. A male's HDL should be greater than 40, so yours in well above this.
LDL- the goal for the LDL varies from person to person depending on the individual risk of heart disease.
For a person with heart disease, problems with the circulation in the legs or symptoms related to cholesterol plaques in the blood vessels in the neck- the LDL should be less than 100

If a does or has more than 2 of the following then it should be less than 130- smoker, high blood pressure, man older than 45, family history of someone having heart disease and low HDL. For example if you were a smoker and also had high blood pressure, your LDL needs to be less than 130 .

IF you have one of these risk factors (smoking, low HDL, family history of heart disease, high blood pressure and age greater than 45), then it should be less than 160.

YOur LDL is 166 which is high.
The non HDL goal is calculated by adding 30 to the LDL goal.

You should continue taking the storvas , this is one of the most common medications used to treat high cholesterol.
In term of your diet, it is normally recommended that a persons use alot of fruits and vegetables because these are high in fiber- at least 5 servings, meaning they should be used with each main meal and at snack
Increase your use of oats, barley, whole grain foods
Use brown rice/brown pasta/ brown bread instead of the white ones because they contain more fiber
Avoid frying
Use low fat milk and other products

It is also important to exercise at least 150 mins a week

You should retest the cholesterol 3 months after you start the medication and make changes in your diet and activity.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Done with lipid profile tests. Taking storvas. Correct medicine? 10 minutes later
my weight is 52.my height is 5'5'inches.i am not obese but underweight,

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Ok, that is good. Increased weight increases the weight of further problems.

The dietary changes suggested above are not to reduce your weight, these are the changes that are normally suggested for person to reduce their cholesterol.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Done with lipid profile tests. Taking storvas. Correct medicine? 21 hours later
thanks alot doctor.

No problem, there is an american medical website dedicated to helping person reduce their cholesterol. You can take a look and see if it helps you.

It is WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you the best

Feel free to contact with any additional questions