Done with kwire on finger due to bad fracture. Had severe heart burn, itching and pain in arm. What could this indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I have recently had a kwire done on my left middles finger due to bad fracture in car door. The k wire come out in a week. Last night in bed, I had severe heart burn, some thing I rarely suffer from, it lasted about 2-3 hrs, I was itching a lot, then I got a severe pain in my left arm, in the area where you would get a needle, the pain moved right a round and had me in tears as I couldn't sleep or lift my arm at all. I took painkillers so I could sleep. I have woken up and the pain is not as bad, but hurts to lift, like the feeling of being corked in the arm badly. Has my finger got anything to do with this? I am a bid scared
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
In can be nonunion or infection around fracture,

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case with diligence.

When there is finger fracture and k wire is done, it is mainly kept for 3 to 4 weeks. So was your k wire kept for 3 weeks?
If union at fracture site did not occur then there can be pain and abnormal mobility When healing is complete then chances of severe pain is very less.
So you need to confirm union or infection by examination and x XXXXXXX
Another possibility can be of cardiac origin pain leading to heart burn and radiating pain in left arm which is common presentation.
You may need to consult physician and rule out hyperacidity or cardiac pain.
Another possibility of pain can be due to diffuse disc bulge compressing your cervical spine.
Some medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.