Done with diabetic health check up. On healthy diet and doing exercise daily. Will exercise help in stooping the medication?

I had taken the diabetic health check up and my sugar level HBA1C was 7.6. My fasting sugar was 149 mg/dl and post lunch 229 mg/dl

I do 5 days a exercise and started maintaining the healthy diet as prescribed by the dietician. Whether will I be able to stop the medicine if maintain the exercise and diet. Also I am doing weight workout for muscle building, I am having Whey protein after workout, can I continue with the protein drink?.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 9 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Once you are diagnosed with diabetes and started on medication, you will need to continue to take it untill the blood sugars are consistently normal.

These medicines may be discontinued if you develop low blood glucose as a result of the medicine. In my clinical experience, some people, are able to maintain normal blood glucose levels with diet and exercise alone for quite a long time. In that case they do not need to take medicines. Since you are of young age and physically active, you may be able to control it with diet and exercise alone. In that case you may discontinue medicine. It also depends on the duration of diabetes. If it has been there for long time, then lifestyle alone may not help. You will need to consult your treating physician before you chose to discontinue them.

Protein drinks can be continued.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee