Done with complete blood count test. Had mild allergies. Worried about contaminated by HIV. Advise?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I had a recent CBC and discovered that the only anomoly was a serious increase in eosinophils. They represent 19% against an upper threshold of 6%! My neutrophils ar slightly down at 31% against a normal threshold of 40. All my other figures are within the normal range.

My GP ordered an IgE Total test which came back very high too. 826 KIU/L against an upper normal threshold of 150.

I have in the past suffered from just two mild allergies, pollen and house mites. I am NOT experiencing any allergy symptoms at the moment at all, no sneezing, etc.. I now live in Oman which has a very dry climate which helps any allergy I may have experienced in the past.

What I am really worried about is that I may have been contaminated recently by HIV. I was stupid to take a risk around January 14th 2013 (just one night of unprotected folly with full vaginal penetration), got tested on March 1st 2013 as a result of anxiety and was found to be HIV negative but well short of the exposure window which is 3 months from risk taking event.

Should I be worried about my increase in IgE, could it indicate recent HIV contamination? I would be devastated to be found to be HIV positive as I just got married to a much younger HIV negative woman who would by now be contaminated if I am HIV+!

Short of an HIV conventional blood test, is there any discreet test I can do to establish my HIV status, Oman is a country where if you are found to be HIV+, you get immediately deported, all tests are carried out by the Ministry and are NOT confidential, clearly, HIV+ or not, I do NOT want to lose my job and be required to leave Oman before my compulsory HIV test due to happen in December 2014.

Grateful for your prompt answer.

Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IgE level is not a diagnostic criteria for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Phillippe,
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX

Increase in Eosinofil count or IgE level are not anyway indicating a diagnostic tool for HIV infection. Of course there may be an increase in IgE level in case of advanced case of HIV when the CD4 cells got decreased to alarming level, as a compensatory response of the body, IgE level will get increased. But the IgE level will be increased in so many types of condition including allergic reactions.
With that nobody can be diagnosed as a possible HIV positive individual. Only with HIV antibody or PCR tests we can confirm HIV infection. As you had the test during window period , it is better to repeat the test once again to confirm that you are free from HIV infection.
Best wishes for your negative HIV test.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Done with complete blood count test. Had mild allergies. Worried about contaminated by HIV. Advise? 39 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. What is a PCR test, please?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abbreviation for Polymerase Chain Reaction test.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
It is a short form of Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test for HIV detecting Antigen and it will be a diagnostic tool for HIV to diagnose as early as 3 weeks after the risky exposure, that is during 'window period' itself. Slightly costlier than a Antibody test and available only in selective centers.