Done with blood work for early detection HIV, oral and genital herpes through an on-line system. What does false positives mean?

Excellent

Question
Hello.
Took some blood tests through an online system called WWW.WWWW.WW (I had bloodwork done for Early detection HIV, Oral, and Genital Herpes). Oral one came back positive. Have you heard of this online system and would you recommend getting rechecked as I have read things about "false positives", etc.? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Hello;

I understand you are concerned about some online testing you have had done. Testing for oral herpes simply means you have been exposed to the virus at some point...and that you have antibodies to the Herpes Simplex 1 virus. I don't really see the use in getting a test done to confirm such...you either have it or you don't. It's not life threatening....essentially it's what we call...Fever Blisters...

I have not heard much about these online testing companies.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Follow-up: Done with blood work for early detection HIV, oral and genital herpes through an on-line system. What does false positives mean? 13 hours later
Thanks. The weird thing is I have no real signs or issues in or around my mouth, yet have had some discomfort in my "private" area. Doctor tested me for chlymidia, gonorrhea, and trichinosis...all came back negative. Has me on a UTI drug called ciprofloxin.
Just a very bad time right now. Thanks again. XXXXXXX M.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 36 minutes later
Many many people have been exposed to Herpes Simplex Type 1 and do not have any active symptoms. That may be the case with you.

Hope this has been helpful.

Follow-up: Done with blood work for early detection HIV, oral and genital herpes through an on-line system. What does false positives mean? 50 minutes later
Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 minutes later
You are Welcome.