Done with blood testing. Diabetic. What are the findings from the report?

Hi, I just had blood testing for further investigation into a raised ALT level..

My previous ALT level was 65..

Todays results..
Total Bilirubin - 21
Alkaline Phosphatase - 64
Gamma GT - 115 ??
ALT - 65 (same as 6 months ago)
AST - 62

.... I do drink beer, perhaps too much ??

....over the last 4 years my toes and feet are becoming very numb and starting to affect my balance. Is there a possible connection? I do have Diabetes 2 - but my readings are always around 5,8 - 6-4 in the am..

Should I be concerned
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

From the results and information you have provided:

1. alcohol consumption should be the number reason why this GGT and ALT are raised. Please consider cutting back significantly on your alcohol consumptions and controlling these tests at a later date. Alcohol greatly damages the liver and can lead to liver cirrhosis and failure. Please, greatly moderate you alcohol consumption to minimal levels.

2. The level of bilirubin seem too high. What are the units because the normal values range from 0.2-1.3 mg/dl. Please check and make sure you reported it correctly. A value this high should be very concerning and your eyes and mucous membranes all yellowish in coloration.

3.Feet feeling numb and affecting balance are a typical complication of diabetes referred to as peripheral neuropathy. The best thing to do is to intensify glucose control, measure your HBA1c to make sure it is within normal values as it represents a long term evaluation of effective glucose control than spot assessments as does fasting glucose. In this case, you will need to take special care of the legs avoiding any infections through regular check and appropriate foot wears. Please take this serious as diabetic feet is a serious complication in diabetic patients.

I hope this addresses your query fully. If there are any related follow up questions, please, feel free to ask them and i shall gladly address them.
I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Done with blood testing. Diabetic. What are the findings from the report? 1 hour later
....thanks..Dr. Ditah, here is the answer to your reading question

The Total Bilirubin result was 21 umol/L (range ) what does the AST/ALT ratio mean ???
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Thank you so much for replying to my questions.

a total bilirubin of 21umol/l is normal on this scale and units. The earlier one was reported in mg/dl which is ore widely and frequently used.

ALT/AST give an idea on the probable cause of an increased in liver enzymes and interpreted as follows:

>2 suggest alcohol as the possible cause
<1 suggests a viral cause
=1 suggestive of cirrhosis
However, this occurs when the enzymes are greatly increased and less indicative in mild elevations. Also, they have to be interpreted in context as by itselfthey are not conclusive.

Hope this answers you questions fully.
Fell free to contact me for more information if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Hope this helps. How