Done with blood test. Suggest the dosage of Coumodin?

Psychiatrist
Question
How does one figure the dosage for Coumodin;;;;;it Inr/potime is high, you prescribe less Coumodin, --if the test shows lower you prescribe more <<< which way does it go ? This has to do with an 80 yr old lady___-Recent blood test shows WBC 3.8 low---platelet count low 132----ABS lymph .97 low----CO2 high 33----creatinine low .60----Ck cardiac muscles low 21..... What can be done for this lady ? Her Doctor does nothing . Can you address all points ? XXXXXXX

abs
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, usually INR should be between 2 and 3

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. Usually INR should be between 2 and 3 for the people who have history of clot in their legs, or history of clot in their heart, etc. For some cases, like the ones who have artificial heart valves, INR should be regulated to be between 2 and 3. The parmeters you mentioned are in the normal range. For INR, if it is bellow 2, then her doctor increase the dose og coumadin a little and wait for 7 days and then asks for another test to see if it is ok. Let me know if you have any other question. I wish her a good health.

Follow-up: Done with blood test. Suggest the dosage of Coumodin? 22 hours later
I was more interested in the second part of my message which had to do with a lady about 80 who had a blood test report that showed her WBC low of 3.8 and some other results I mentioned. How can she improve her WBC . Please re-read my question on the various aspects. You did not fully reply. Thank you. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi, physical activity can do.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking. Sport can increase WBC count in the body. Regarding her age, a little more activity can help. Some herbals like Ginseng can do and because she is taking some other drugs and also because of her age, it is better to consult with her doctor to decide upon her history and her current situation.

Follow-up: Done with blood test. Suggest the dosage of Coumodin? 35 hours later
This is for Dr. Hajiazam who informed me that INR, to be normal , should be between 2 and 3. Now I encounter tests locally that specified that the INR should be between 0.88 to 1.12. Why the difference? Need to know which is "legal". Can you reply Dr. Hajiazam Big thanks. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal range is between 0.88 and 1.12

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking. The normal range of INR should be between 0.88 and 1.12. If somebody is taking coumadin or any other medication to make her blood thinner, INR range should be between 2 and 3 or between 2.5 and 3.5 depending on her medical situation. Please let me know if there is any point that has not been mentioned and you want to know. Best wishes with health.