Done with Renal Ultrasound. What are the findings?

Just got results from renal U/S
I am a 70 yr old male
U/S impression "Mild bilateral renal cortical thinning with medical real diseas, No Jydronephrosis

right kidney is 13.2 x 7 x 6 cm
left kidney is 12/3x6x1x5.5 cm

any comments on this
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The mild cortical thinning of the kidneys seems to be due to the effect of long standing hypertension on the kidneys. There is no hydronephrosis- means the hyperplastic prostate has not shown any back pressure effect on the kidneys. A renal function tests will help in detecting the extent of renal function compromise that you have.
Rest of the findings are normal. Running or regular exercise does not have any detrimental effect on the kidneys, prostate or urinary system.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Done with Renal Ultrasound. What are the findings? 1 hour later
I want to mention that my eGFR was decreasing to a level of 62 until I had a TURP procedure on my prostate. That was 2 months ago and my eGFR has now risen to 76. This is encouraging. Can you cmoment on this.

Also does my age of 70+ factor into this stage 2 level as near normal ageing and with everything else normal can I be optimistic that I will not progress to Stage 4 or 5 in the next 10 years.

Thank you Dr Tayai
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The rise in eGFR is encouraging. The mild cortical thinning could be age related too.
If everything goes normal, it is not likely to progress much and you can lead a normal life for next 10-15 years. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Done with Renal Ultrasound. What are the findings? 18 minutes later
Dr Thayal

Thanks for your answers and even more appreciation for the hope that you have given to me that this has a likelyhood of not progressing to Level 4 or 5 in the next dozen or so years. If so, then this is a significant optimistic prognosis.

No more from me
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards