Done with MRI scan of brain. What does my report says?

Nov 2013

MRI report states in part, ": Additional extensive foci of non enhancing T2/FLAIR hyper intensity are demonstrated throughout the peri ventricular and deep frontoparietal white matter, in keeping with advanced microangiopathic ischemic changes. Global parenchymal volume loss is demonstrated,........"

Would you be willing to fine me a brief interpretation of these statements ?
Thank you

Woul you be willing to giv
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
My interpretation is below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query and providing the MRI brain report.

These findings suggest brain ischemia- lack of blood flow in various parts of brain as mentioned in the report. These are very small areas, so, most often, no symptoms may be present. In some cases, these would lead to forgetfulness, difficulty walking, weakness, slurring of speech, etc.

The common risk factors for these abnormalities include high BP, sugars, cholesterol, homocysteine and smoking.

Treatment would be aimed at stopping the progression of these lesions and preventing a brain stroke. This can be achieved by using aspirin and controlling any of the risk factors, if present.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist