Done with MRI of lumbar spine and having bulging disc. What does this mean? What are the upcoming risks?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just recieved the results of my MRI of lumbar spine I have bulging disc in each and a central protrusion what does this mean and what other problems can it cause.I currently recieve a 20% service connnected disabilty from va for degenerative disc disease in lumbar spine will the results of my MRI justify a increase
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
You are having prolapsed intervertebral disc. It is a condition affecting the spine, in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring of an intervertebral disc allows the soft, central portion to buldge out. This causes a compression of the nerves coming out of the vertebrae. As a result of this you may experience pain going down your leg/legs, numbness or any abnormal sensation in your lower limbs.
In severe cases it may cause symptoms such as abnormal sensation/lack of sensation in the anal or genital region,problems with urination, incontinence of stool. The increase in disability depends on the physical examination findings. Please do consult your orthopedician for the same.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.