Done with IUI. Having high fever, cough and cold. Prescribed with Zinnat. When can I test for pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I had an IUI done last September 13 (Day 8) and I got sick last September 24 with high fever, cough and colds. Doctor prescribed Zinnat 500mg twice a day. Is it safe? Since I might be pregnant because of IUI. Also, when can I test for pregnancy? My first day of menstruation is September 5 and ended September 8. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Zinnat (Cefuroxime) is safe in pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

You have been taking treatment for polycystic ovaries for a while and opted for intra uterine insemination (IUI) 13 September 2013.

Your doctor has given Zinnat 500mg (Cefuroxime) twice a day course for fever and respiratory infection. This antibiotic belongs to class cephalosporins and is not known to be harmful when used by pregnant women, but as with all medicines, it should be used with caution during pregnancy and only when considered essential by your doctor, particularly during the first trimester. You have been given this medicine after considering the benefits associated in taking this medication.

You must get pregnancy test done at least 15 days after IUI procedure. The accuracy is more than 95% two weeks after conception, that is today onward.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.Vivek.

Follow-up: Done with IUI. Having high fever, cough and cold. Prescribed with Zinnat. When can I test for pregnancy? 11 minutes later
I tested for pregnancy last September 27 using only urine HCG pregnancy kit, the test result is negative- is this accurate or should I go for a blood test for pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy blood test after about 15 days is best.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

It is recommended that you refrain from performing a home pregnancy test as they can render false results, either a false negative or false positive. A false positive result may be due to the fact that in many treatments, hCG, the same hormone that measures pregnancy, is given to “trigger” ovulation in many patients. Traces of the administered hCG can still be in your bloodstream and detectable by a test, even if implantation has not occurred. A false negative might occur as a low level of hCG may be undetectable in a urine test despite a pregnancy starting as these are less sensitive than the blood hormone tests used.

On average, two weeks after your IUI or embryo transfer you should go back to your doctor for your pregnancy test. This test is done by blood draw and measures the hCG levels produced by the developing embryo. The most reliable pregnancy test is the blood test.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.Vivek.