Done with H1ANC test. Family history of diabetes. Can any on-line doctor help me?

hi doctor,

I have a family history of diabeties, my grand father and father are diabetic, recently my elder brother also became diabetic. I have my H1ANC test last week and it is showing 6.2 . Please let me now what activities I need to do, also should I consult a doctor and start using medicines for diabetis.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 4 hours later
Dear Friend,

Your HbA1c reveals your status of Pre diabetes. This is between Normal and Diabetes. You must get your Oral glucose test done which should include a Fasting and a blood glucose estimation after 2 hour of a glucose drink. That will further clarify your status.

Just for your information there are 3 possibilities:-
1. Your fasting might be higher than normal (100 mg% to <126 mg%). This is called Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG)
2. Your post glucose reading is higher than normal (140 mg% to <200 mg%) but Fasting is normal (<100 mg%). This is called Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT)
3. Your both readings are higher than normal but lesser than Diabetic range. This is called Combined Glucose Intolerance (CGI)

You must understand that risk of developing diabetes in future increases in this order: IFG-->IGT-->CGI

Regarding preventing advice, Yes! you must consult a diabetologist and he will not only advise you regarding diet, exercise and often some drug, shall also advise you to get yourself checked every six months.

Hope this much should be enough.
Best of luck
Dr. LK Shankhdhar