Done with Colonoscopy and diagnosed with colitis. Prescribed with apriso. Is it safe to take apriso? Suggestion?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Dear Doctor,
I had colonocopy rectly and doctor rold me that i have colites and he started medication named apriso ..can you tell me how serious this ilness is and is this medication is safe to take ..i heared it has side effect also ..please provide me directions in this regard and i am felling hopeless at this point..
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the details as outlined

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
There are various issues which need to be addressed before commenting on the diagnosis of colitis.
1. The symptoms which you had before undergoing colonoscopy.
2. History of bleeding while passing stools.
3. Abdominal pain associated with bleeding.
4. Relieving factors and aggravating factors for these symptoms.
Having known about the above points then the colonoscopic findings with respect to the appearance of the affected areas and whether a biopsy was taken to ascertain the diagnosis.
It would be of great help in commenting on the diagnosis if you could provide me with the above information.
Dr Vagholkar

Follow-up: Done with Colonoscopy and diagnosed with colitis. Prescribed with apriso. Is it safe to take apriso? Suggestion? 3 hours later
Please see my answer below"

[kuldeep says:] I had to pass watery stool couple of times
[kuldeep says:No]

3. Abdominal pain associated with bleeding. XXXXXXX says : no with belinding but have some mild pain in rigt side of abdominal which comes and goes]

Bisopy was taken and afterl only they recommended me this medcation ..however i could speak to GI as he is on vacation only nurse told me that i have non specific colities ...let me know if i can ask detailed report of my colonoicopy and could send you ..

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
If biopsy is negative,then do not worry

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the feedback.
Passage of watery stools many times a day is suggestive of inflammation of the large bowel or colitis. But the absence of blood is a good sign.Mild pain is suggestive of inflammation.
If the biopsy does not suggest any specific pathology then you need not worry at all. But it is important to study the colonoscopic pictures and the biopsy report as well. You can continue with the medication advised for symptomatic relief.

Follow-up: Done with Colonoscopy and diagnosed with colitis. Prescribed with apriso. Is it safe to take apriso? Suggestion? 2 days later
My colonoscopy has the follwoing comments as nurse told me on phon and docotor is on vacation ..please can you tell me what does it mean..

active colitis with focal minimal architectural distortion

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
No malignancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
The report means that there is just inflammation. What is important is that no growths have been seen.The absence of atypical cells is a promising sign that there is no malignancy or cancer.
So you do not have to worry. You just require supportive treatment as advised.

Follow-up: Done with Colonoscopy and diagnosed with colitis. Prescribed with apriso. Is it safe to take apriso? Suggestion? 6 days later
Thanks For reply..

So it means it cant be any IBD like crohan's etc..Doctor has taken my around 5 blood test alreday and they say that it is al normal so should i get tested for something elese to rule out croham and Ulcer coliites..

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Special investigations for diagnosing Crohn's

Detailed Answer:
Colonoscopy would have shown areas of inflammatory bowel disease particularly ulcerative colitis. Surely the endoscopist must have taken biopsies from certain questionable areas. Since biopsy is negative there is nothing to worry. However endoscopy is not the confirmatory test for crohn's. Capsule endoscopy or small bowel enema would be the investigation of joice for crohn's disease.
I hope this answers your doubt.

Thanks Sir for reply..

I have one more question..i am having more pain since my colonoscopy and it has been around 22 days when my colonosopy hapened ..
But this pain is not going away.it is right upper abdominal and some time comes in lower right abdominal also...and onemore important thing is that whn i have some strees ..this pain becomes more active and it looks like some thing has been cut from inside..can you please let me know what should i do in this case ..i went to hospital they performed CT sacn and told me that found nothing to worry..

Brief Answer:
No organic pathology.

Detailed Answer:
thanks for writing in.
Normal colonoscopy along with normal Ct of the abdomen confirms absolute normalcy of the abdominal organs. The most probable cause could be the early onset of stress and other psychological factors. The best solution is
1. high fiber diet
2. plenty of water intake
3. yoga and meditation.
4. regular exercise
I am sure the above measures will help you get rid of the symptoms.