Done vitamin D test. What medicine should I take?

Hello doctor I did a Vit D test and have VITAMIN D ,25 HYDROXY (CLIA ) as 26.80 . What medicine should I take ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us

To achieve a blood level of 25 OH D above 30 ng per ml , In adults dose required is 6000 IU per day or 50,000 IU per week for 8 weeks. Further, 100 IU of Vit D raise the level only by 1ng/ml. This needs to be done under the supervision of your physician as too much of Vitamin D can have a lot of side effects.
You can also take plenty of vitamin D through dietary sources which include cod liver oil , cow's milk , orange juice , yogurt , mushrooms , egg yolk , pink salmon , sardines , dark leafy vegetables , fortified soy milk . Exposure to UVB for 10 -15 minutes give 1000 IU, but excessive exposure also predisposes you to skin damage and possibly cancer.
Vitamin D comes in the form of sachets which contain cholecalciferol. This needs to be taken under the guidance of your physician.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.
Best wishes