Done urine and thyroid blood test. What are the findings in the report?

my test results came.. pus cells -1-3 hpf
epi cells - 2-4 hpf
rbc,cast,crystals,bacteria,others are nil

i want to know is there any discrepency in my results

actually i did a complete urine and thyroid blood tests.. all are normal except epi and pus cells i feel... i have sent u the detailed results for urine can u please check it and tell me whether i have any disease or not..
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Hello XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

1-3 HPF of pus cells in the urine is an insignificant and inconclusive amount of pus cells. This has most probably occurred due to either improper manner of collecting the urine sample or due to hospital contamination of the sample. 1-3 pus cells does not prove anything, and you are most probably completely normal and disease-free.

2-4 epithelial cells again proves nothing, and although epithelial cells should normally not be seen in a urine sample, such small amounts are again most probably due to a hospital contamination of the sample or improper technique used in collecting the sample.

I would like to ask if there was any prior indication for the investigation (were there any symptoms present)? Or was it part of a routine check-up?

So far, in my opinion, you are completely fine and disease free, and if this is clinically correlated, this will be confirmed.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. You could write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

God bless you.
Follow-up: Done urine and thyroid blood test. What are the findings in the report? 7 minutes later
Blood routine(HB,TC,DC,ESR)
HB: 11.2gm%
TLC:8,100 cells/
Band forms:00%
Esr: 25 mm/hr
Platelet count :2.1 lakhs cells/cumm
Bleeding time :3 mts
Clotting time:7mts

Blood Urea : 16mg/dl
Liver Function Test
Bilirubin total :0.6mg/dl
bilrubin direct :0.2 mg/dl
Alkaline Phospatase :87 U/L
Total proteins:7.2 gm/dl

Urine routine examination
microscopic examination
PUS Cells:1-3/hpf
EPI cells:2-4/HPF
observed value reference range & units
t3(total)by clia,serum - 106 euthyroid:60 to 180 ng/dl
hypothyroid:below 60 ng/dl
hyperthyroid:above 180 ng/dl

t4(total)by clia,serum - 7.3 euthyroid:5 to 11.5 ng/dl
hypothyroid:below 5.0 ng/dl
hyperthyroid:above 11.5ng/dl
Tsh(ultrasensitive)serum by CLIA- 1.89 euthyroid:0.4 to 4.0 uIU/ml hypothyroid:above 4.0 hyperthyroid:below 0.4

Peripheral blood smear

PBF No:1418/13
no atypical cells are seen
Platelets count adequate with normal morphology

Follow-up: Done urine and thyroid blood test. What are the findings in the report? 4 minutes later
Thank you Doctor

But I have a doubt whether i have any infection or not, sometimes i have itching in my vagina.. nothing like pain or something.. this is a routine check up only..
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Hello once again XXXXXX.

I have gone through all your reports and the only two slightly abnormal results are:

1. HB: 11.2 gm% - It is generally advised for men to be between 11-13 gm% and for women to be between 13-15 gm%. This means you lie on the border-line as of now. This is not of any major concern as you still fall under the normal given range of 11-15 gm%, but I would prefer you would be at least above 12 gm%. This will be achieved through a diet XXXXXXX in iron (vegetables, red meat, etc.)

2. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) 25 mm/hr : Normal range is 2-20 mm/hr

This parameter normally indicates inflammation some where in the body. It cannot tell us where, but usually indicates the presence of inflammation some where in the body. But, here is the most important thing you need to understand about this parameter:
Generally in the presence of infection or inflammation somewhere in the body, this level is either close to 50 or above 50. Thus, a level of 25 mm/hr indicates either a recovering stage or the initiation of an infection or some other cause.

Thus, a value of 25 mm/hr is still inconclusive. My advise would be to repeat a CBC (which will include ESR as well) in a weeks time. Testing it after a week will help in observing either a reduction (completely subsided cause/infection/inflammation) or a further increase (at which we will have to further investigate to find the cause).

XXXXXX, if you do not mind me asking. Do you have any other symptoms like: rash around the genitals? Frequent urination? Vaginal discharge? Foul smell from the vagina? Are you married or sexually active? If yes, when was the last time you had sexual intercourse?

May be you should visit a gynecologist (if you haven't already). Itching around the genitals could even be normal, in conditions like drop in pH (from dieting), low fluid intake, etc.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative XXXXXX. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Done urine and thyroid blood test. What are the findings in the report? 2 days later
yes,rashes s thr.. no frequent uinatn.. discharg s thr bt in sum tymz only.. nt married,not sexually active also.. had sex onc 3 years back..
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Hello once again XXXXXX.

The presence of a rash around the genitals and discharge could both indicate the presence of an infection. These could be candidiasis, trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, etc. We can only make a concrete diagnosis after analysing the vaginal discharge or taking a cotton swab culture sample from your genitals. I would request you to kindly visit a gynaecologist, who will surely find the infection causing organism, and accordingly treat you.

Please not, this is not a urinary infection, but an infection of the genitals.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.