Done surgery for fissures. Is it okay to have sitz baths in Betadine solution?

General Surgeon
I recently underwent a surgery for fissures and have been advised sitz baths and dressing after that. My question- During periods is it okay to have sitz baths in betadine solution-can I continue and is it okay to not dress,as in tape the wound for a few days?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 10 hours later

Thanks for nice query.     

Warm water Sitz bath with betadine or potassium per-magnate is always advised and very useful after surgery in anal or Peri-anal area i.e. fissure, hemorrhoids.

Sitz bath reduce the healing time and chances of infection and also promote early recovery.

As both are antiseptics and with warm water, cleans the area.

There is no harm in doing sitz bath even during periods.

After sitz bath local application of dressing requirement depends on the size of wound, in case of small wound if one is comfortable, one can avoid dressing.

Regular sitz bath and dressing are always beneficial.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”