Done semenogram. Is poor sperm motility due to liquefaction problem?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Doctor
I have attached my semenogram report. However I also give a brief summary here
My Questions are
(1) Is the poor sperm motility due to liquefaction problem which in turn is due to viscosity of the fluid?
(2) I have searched the internet and Found out that viscosity is caused due to
(a) Low Testosterone (b) Prostate Problems. Should I Get evaluated for both these problems?
(3) Due to my Work I have been having contact with my wife only during the time of ovulation. Can this infrequent contact be the cause of Liquefaction problem?
(4) Can Ejaculating more frequently solve this liquefaction problem?
(5) If the liquefaction problem is over, will sperm motility improve?
(6) On the net there are suggestions that guaifenesin / mucus thinning medicines can help resolve this liquefaction problem. Can I take it doctor?
(7) Can there be a problem with my thyroid and due to this liquefaction problem is there?
and finally
(8) Can I ever FAther a Child?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

I went through your report and with the questions you have asked, I understand that you’re very anxious. However taking your questions one at a time, here are your answers:

1. In highly viscous sperm sample - the liquefaction is poor and can be a cause for poor motility. Its important to understand that liquefaction is the 1st step that takes place after the semen is ejaculated and special enzymes are required to break it down. These enzymes are from the prostate gland and other secretions are from the seminal vesicles

2 Thus, a proper evaluation is necessary and its important you XXXXXXX a infertility specialist or a urologist who will help you

3. and 4. Liquefaction is not connected to the number of time you ejaculate but more related to problems you have mentioned such as prostate or seminal vesicle secretion problems

5 , 6and 7 Liquefaction is the problem identified at this point when investigating you and your wife as a couple. Your wife also needs to be investigated and assessed for any problems. You can try the medicines - like mucus thinning agents - but it has to be given under supervision form a medical practitioner.
At the same time if other hormones like the thyroid hormone levels and prolactin should be tested and if there is a problem, they should be addressed simultaneously and treated.
A check for prostate infection is important and if there is evidence, it needs proper treatment with antibiotics

8. A child is a gift and I think you should be positive and try.

Hope to have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr Nandita Thakkar
Follow-up: Done semenogram. Is poor sperm motility due to liquefaction problem? 54 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

With regards to prostate gland infection, I did read up the subject on the internet. My doubts regarding this are

(1) Why this is caused? I Dont drink or smoke. I have no other bad habits. I have no trouble urinating. nor do I feel any sort of pain in the groin area. Would I still suffer from this infection?

(2) My urine is always yellow, goes from mild yellow to dark. It has been like this ever since I remember. Can this indicate anything wrong with my prostate gland. There are absolutely no indications that I have a problem with my prostate gland.

(3) Doctor can decreased blood flow to the groin area cause liquefaction problem?

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
From the details you have mentioned everything seems to be fine. However there is a condition called asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis. It will therefore important to XXXXXXX a urologist, check it out and plan further.

The other query about decreased blood flow and liquefaction - in this case even the semen count can be affected. As your count is normal I think that should not be an issue!

Hope to have answered your query

Dr Nandita Thakkkar