Done semen analysis. Is longer liquefaction time an indication of infection?

Question
I just got my semen analysis report which is as follows:
color: yelowish
sperm count: 118.4 million/ml
pH: 8.0
liquefaction time: over 60 mins
WBC: 1-3 cells/hpf
motility after 1 hr : 60%
motility after 2 hrs: 50%
morphology: 75% normal
Is the results normal.....is the longer liquefaction time an inication of infection..could it be an std...an any comments about yellow colour....please answer

Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello Dear and welcome to HCM
Yellow colour, prolonged liquefaction time and borderline pH are the matter of concern in your above written report. All are suggestive of presence of infection in semen.
Yellow colour semen is uncertain and is due to infection and intake of food which are XXXXXXX in sulphur like garlic and onion. Other cause may be natural thickening of semen due to not ejaculating for long time.
Now regarding prolonged liquefaction time it may be due to infection or disorder of accessory gland function. But in some studies the liquefaction time up to 60 minutes is treated as normal.
Consult your doctor with report and get yourself clinical checked, after getting to a diagnosis start your treatment accordingly. In my opinion a course of antibiotic and some precautions will help you. Precautions are: stop smoking and alcohol, and drug use like steroids. Avoid exposure to heat and environmental toxins. Drink more water.
Hope you got your answer. I am available for your other related queries.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh

Follow-up: Done semen analysis. Is longer liquefaction time an indication of infection? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

In your expert opinion what are the possible infections that may cause the yellowishness and longer liquefaction time...awaiting your reply

Hello and thanks again for follow up query.

In most of the case 99% the infection is bacterial like Escherichia coli, Ureaplasma urealyticum and Staphylococcus aureus etc. You can confirm the specific organism by Semen Culture. Consult your doctor and if needed you can go for culture test.
The other and rare cause is viral infection like HIV.
Write again if you have other related queries
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh