Done semen analysis. Are there any chances for me to become a father?

Hi - My age is 33 years. This regarding my Semen Analysis report that I just got and could not understand what it mean. Are there are any chances for me to become father?

Macroscopic (Volume = 3.0ml, Colour = Pearly white, Reaction Alkaline, Viscocity = Normal, Liquefaction time = 40 mins)
Microscopic (Sperm Count = 40millions/ml)
Motality (Active=40, Sluggish=10, Non motile=50)
Morphology (Normal forms=40, Abnormal forms=60)
Other findings (Puss cells=3-4/HPF, Impression=Normospermia)

Thanks for your help!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later

The normal sperm count is over 15 million sperms, volumes between 1.0 mL and 6.5 mL are normal and regarding the liquefaction time, it normally takes less than 20 minutes for the sample to change from a thick gel into a liquid. An abnormally long liquefaction (more than 30 minutes at 37 24°C) time may indicate an infection. However clinically, a liquefaction time within 60 minutes is regarded as within normal ranges.

So, your sperm count seems to be normal in these aspects. Motility is the percentage of moving sperm in a sample and an evaluation of their rate and direction of travel. At least 50% should be motile one hour after ejaculation and it is 40 % motile sperms in your case which is a bit less.

Also in morphology, the number of abnormal forms are more than the normal forms. Motility problems commonly occurs along with abnormal sperm morphology and can affect male fertility.

Usually in such cases, we do another semen test after four to six weeks to see whether sperm quality has improved on its own. If there are still large numbers of abnormal sperm or a low sperm count, then we check for any infection.

In such cases even with abnormal sperm morphology, motility problems or a low sperm count, pregnancy may still be possible once the infection is treated. So you can become a father but a repeat semen examination after some time after consulting a fertility specialist or urologist is required.

If there is any infection, then you will be given appropriate antimicrobials after which your chances of fathering a child are good.

Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables. Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are very crucial to sperm health.

Definitely, there is a greater chance of you being a father.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.