Done prenatal test. Are these results normal?

I my wife ad her results for the prenatal test and the results are:
T21: 1/0000
T18: 0%
Spina béfida: 1/200
The lab said they where all negative and averything was ok. My wife is 35 years old. Are these result normal for you?
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

Prenatal testing can tell whether your baby is at risk of having Down's syndrome
( trisomy 21), trisomy 18 or a neural tube defect ( eg spina bifida).
Of these defects Down's syndrome is most common with a rate of 1 in 700.

The results that you have above with trisomy 21 : 1/0000 indicate that the chances of your wife having a child with Down's syndrome is remote, there is only a 0.0001% chance of this defect occuring, practically no chance of it happening at all.The results are usually considered abnormal if it is quoted as 1/270.

Trisomy 18- 0% chance of this chromosomal defect occurring. This does not occur as commonly as T 21, with a rate of 1 in 7000 ( however your wife result is 0%). The results are considered abnormal if greater than 1/100

Neural tube defect ( spina bifida): This is usually diagnosed with a blood test measuring the levels of certain proteins which are produced by the baby. An abnormally high value is indicative of this condition.
It is normally reported in comparision to what would be expected at the baby's age.
The results indicate that when the lab techs reviewed the protein level they thought the chances of spina bifida to be 1 in 200, which is also relatively low.
If you remain concerned, you can consider speaking to your doctor who may consider other testing.

I hope this eases both of your minds and I hope you have a healthy baby.Feel free to ask any other questions