Done pre-op blood test for Lumpectomy. Taking Sertraline. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Went for pre-op bloodwork for a lumpectomy. My WBC is 3.1, my doctor is not concerned but I am...other results are: Sodium 135, Glucose 68, Basophil, Percent 3 - HCT 37.6; HCB 12.5; RDW 14.4; RBC 4.09; Neutrophils, Absolute 1.7; Neutrophils Percent 57; Lympocytes Absolute .9; Lymphocytes Percent 30; MCH 30.5; MCHC 33.2; MCV 92.0; Monocytes Absolute .3; Monocytes percent 9; MPV 9.2; PLTS 181. My doctor said these are fine and may be normal for me. In January my overall was 3.5 for WBC. He claims some people just run low normal. He said he will retest in October for peace of mind but doesnt see an issue. Am I worried for nothing? Also, I do take sertraline (Zoloft) Is it true that can sometimes lower your WBC? I dont get sick really...overall pretty healthy, BMI is 24.36 as I am 5'9" and 165 lbs, female. HR is 72, BP 104/70. Last year I was 4.0 for WBC (but wasnt taking Zoloft); 12 months later I was 3.5 and now 3.1...I worry about that yet he said the other numbers are there so need to worry. What do you think? Zoloft causing it perhaps? I had a couple drinks the night before and the bloodwork was in the morning also....thanks very much!
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The mildly decreased WBC count that you are having is not significant in the absence of any clinical signs and symptoms. Sometimes this mild decrease may be related to some immunological disorders which are associated with mild splenomegaly.
Some people may naturally have a mildly low WBC count. Taking Sertraline might also be one of the factors. Taking alcohol a night before does not affect these numbers.
You need to watch out for any signs of infection like fever, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, or skin lesions. In such a case medical attention is needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.