Done polyp removal, heavy periods. Do I need anything done?

I had a polyp removed in March and had no periods for 5 months I am post menopausal aged 56 and yesterday and today I had a period so bad it was really heavy and I have bled for 2 days and suddenly it just stopped do I need anything done.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Post menopausal bleeding is a serious matter.It needs to be investigated properly. The cause of the bleeding can either be from the uterus or the cervix or due to a local cause like a polyp.You need to be examined by a gynaecologist. A pap smear test should be done first to rule out any cervical infection. Then a D/C needs to be done to rule out any uterine cause.An ultrasound will show if there are any recurring polyps etc.
You should get these ruled out since the main aim here is to rule out cancer.