Done permanent make up and used a topical numbing gel. Eyelids are swelling and lot of pressure around eyes. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I'm XXXX, I had a procedure done on Saturday, permanent make-up, my eyebrows. It's similar to a tattoo. The technician used a topical numbing gel while performing this procedure. Now I notice my eyelids are swelling (both) and lots of pressure around the eyes. I was afraid the topical gel got into my blood stream because she never wiped it off before she started working on my brows with her ink needle. I'm now reading stories that the topical gel is XXXXXXX in the blood stream. Help please.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling around your eyes seems to be due to a local reaction to the XXXXXXX and not due entrance of XXXXXXX in the blood stream. This can be due to infection in the area or in response to the XXXXXXX that has been injected.
Most of the times such symptoms subside gradually in 5-7 days.
The first thing you can do, regardless of the cause of your swollen eyelid is avoid touching, rubbing or staring at the swelling. Staring at the swollen eyelid will only lead to touching and rubbing, so stay out of the mirror and avoid the temptation.
Avoid wearing make-up, including powders and base. Particles can fly through the air and irritate your eyelids even more.
Try using a cold cloth or even cucumbers twice a day.
Splashing cool water on your face can help reduce swelling.
Gauze pads soaked in milk can also help reduce the swelling in and around your eyes.
Over-the-counter antihistamines and/or eye drops can help too.
Physical check up is necessary to find out the cause. You need to consult your ophthalmologist to get antibiotic and anti allergic eye drops prescribed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.