Done nerve block injections, weakness and numbness in leg. Could the hit cause lack of ability to move upwards?

Excellent

Question
Hi I hit my XXXXXXX bone and I cannot move my ankle upwards at all. To complicate things I had facet nerve block injections in my spine (lower) today and my leg (left the one I squashed just before going in for the injections) remained weak and numb in places after the procedure. So therefore I Don't know if the hit stopped the movement or the injection can't weight bear or leg gives way at the knee which goes backwards and feels weak. I kinda told the hospital otherwise so they'd let me go home and didn't tell them I'd crushed my XXXXXXX between the car seat front and my wheelchair whilst turning (my son had left his seat dwn unexpectantly and so I drove into it full force of electric wheelchair). Could the XXXXXXX hit ( middle front left) which has dinged cause ankle immobility particularly lack of ability to move upwards?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later

I have read the details submitted with diligence. I would like you to provide the following details to help me understand and address your concern better:

1. How long ago did you sustain this injury?
2. I presume you are talking about moving your foot up at the ankle when you mentioned "I cannot move my ankle upward" - can you clarify if the foot is drooping down? Or is the mobility restricted due to pain?
3. Does it hurt if you squeeze / press on the calf muscles?
4. Any focal swelling / skin changes at the site of injury?

Awaiting your response

Dr.Prasad

Follow-up: Done nerve block injections, weakness and numbness in leg. Could the hit cause lack of ability to move upwards? 13 hours later
1. How long ago did you sustain this injury? 24 hrs ago now
2. I presume you are talking about moving your foot up at the ankle when you mentioned "I cannot move my ankle upward" - can you clarify if the foot is drooping down? Or is the mobility restricted due to pain? mobility is restricted although it is returning now
3. Does it hurt if you squeeze / press on the calf muscles? yes actually although I didnt realise it until i did it
4. Any focal swelling / skin changes at the site of injury? dint slight bruising under the skin, the site looks darker through the skin, not red or sore, or cut
Follow-up: Done nerve block injections, weakness and numbness in leg. Could the hit cause lack of ability to move upwards? 2 minutes later
yes, sorry move my foot upwards towards my leg but its improving yesterday it wouldnt move

still weak connection it feels like i cant quite 'connect' to the movement

Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later

I apologize for the delayed response.

1. Facet nerve block injections to the spine are mainly given to treat severe back pain. It does not cause paralysis of foot dorsiflexor muscles (muscles that moves the feet up). You can be rest assured of this.

2. Foot drop is a medical condition caused by peroneal nerve injuries. It causes drooping of foot (paralysis of dorsiflexor group of muscles) and inability to elevate the foot up. Injuries to the leg especially at the lateral aspect of leg about 3-4 fingers below the knee joint is an associated cause. In such cases the symptoms usually recover in 6 weeks time and rarely result in permanent paralysis. - As per your description, I am unsure if the injury sustained was at this point.

Similar nerve weakness / muscle weakness are associated with calf injuries especially if the injury was severe enough to induce compartment syndrome (pressure within musculoconnective tissue compartment). Severe unbearable tenderness of the calf is suggestive of severe compartment syndrome - this is an emergency!!

3. Mild hair line bone fracture of fibula can present with subtle clinical signs. However weight bearing and ankle movements can be painful.

Bottom line is
a. The facet injections are safe and not linked to the current symptoms.
b. Most likely you may have a muscular weakness as a result of calf injuries. The symptoms could be contributed by mild to moderate compartment pressure.
c. Least chances of this being a peroneal nerve induce foot drop.

I am glad to know you are recovering well. In all possibilities you should be able to move the foot well in the few days to a week. If we can get an X-ray of the leg (anteroposterior view and a lateral view) to rule out a fracture, I would gladly say you are well and nothing to worry.

Meanwhile, icing the affected area, avoiding massage and anti-inflammatory drugs like Motrin 200mg twice a day after food is recommended.

Hope this is informative and addressing your concern. Let me know if you have other enquiries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion. Your review will be much appreciated.

To your speedy recovery!!!!

Dr. Prasad