Done master check up. What does my TSH level indicate? Hyperthyroidism?

Question
Dear Doctor,
I recently went through a Master Health Checkup program and my reports indicate that my TSH levels are <0.01 against reference value (.3 to 3.0 )
What does this indicate ?Can it be Hyperthyroidism ?The general physician asked me to consult an endocrinologist .Are there any other tests that I should goa thru apart from TSH .What is T3 and T4 ? Is it mandatory to take those tests ? Also what are the symptoms and treatment ? Is having TSH less than.01 XXXXXXX ?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear AAA
Low TSH does suggest thyrotoxicosis/hyperthyroidism. In this condition thyroid hormone levels in the blood are elevated. There are two thyroid hormones - T4 and T3. When we get a suppressed TSH it is mandatory to get T4and T3 also. In hyperthyroidism T4 and T3 levels are high and TSH values are suppressed. In addition you may need to get the technitium 99m scan of the thyroid.
Usual symptoms of thyrotoxicosis are weight loss, easy fatiguability, heat intolerance, xs sweating, palpitation, light periods, hyperdefecation, tremors of hand, anxiety and prominent protruding eyeballs. These symptoms can occur in different combination. Treatment will depend on tje results of T4T3 and Tc 99m scan- it cpuld be just observation, drugs or radioiodine dependong on the results. Getting TSh as low is not XXXXXXX but needs to be furhter evaluated as indicated above.
I suggest you see an endocrinologist for detailed evaluation and treatment.
Hope thos helps. Get back for any pending doubts/clarifications.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Done master check up. What does my TSH level indicate? Hyperthyroidism? 13 minutes later
Thanks doctor.Will visit an endocrinologist and get back to you.

Ok. Best wishes