Done liver panel test. What do my results mean? Was taking interferon treatment

Hi! I just had a liver panel test and the GGT level is 72ui/l & my hep c antibody screen result was >11:00
And my hep c ab screen interetattion is "reactive"
What does all this mean? I also in 2006 did 1 yr of the
Interferon treatment which worked until last wk!
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later

The GGt is mildly elevated, though labs may vary with their normal ranges, it is usually between 0 to 51 iu/l.

Hepatitis C can be detected by different blood tests.Some of the test will detect the presence of the antibodies (your body's reaction to the virus) but cannot tell you whether it is an acute infection (new) or chronic (older) infection ( once you have had an illness your body will produce antibodies which may remain for a long time as evidence that the illness had been present).
These are the screening tests that are usually done first, if reactive or positive then further testing is indicated to determine whether it is a new infection.

Further testing would involve more antibody testing (recombinat immunoblot assay)- this also cannot distinguish between a past and present infection and also testing for the actual virus (hepatits RNA).Hepatitis RNA will determine whether it is a new infection.
You will need to get the hepatitis RNA done to check for a new infection , it may be the old infection that was detected.

I hope this is helpful to you