Done liver function test. What should I do to bring SGOT and SGPT level under control? Can I drink red wine?

Hi doctor i ahve done my lever function test and it show the SGOT(AST) 72 U/L and SGPT (ALT) 162 U/L . I use to drink alcohol and i use to eat fried food, with a body weight of 99 KG . Please suggest me what i need to do to bring it under control level as soon as possible. Can i take Red wine instead of wiskey some times once in a week about 2-3 glasses.??
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 17 minutes later

Raised levels of AST and ALT are commonly caused by fat deposition in the liver also called as fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle.

My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver.
XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood.

1) Avoid fatty, fried food, processed food completely.

2) Concentrate more on fruits and veggies.

3) Avoid alcohol (even wine) right now as it can worsen the symptoms.

4) Go for a regular walk for 45 minutes daily.

Kindly visit a Physician for evaluation, so that appropriate treatment can be started soon.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.