Done lipid profile test and have high cholesterol. Taking statins. Is medicine desirable or should I stick to diet changes only?

Hi Doctor,

I recently got a lipid profile done and the Cholestrol levels are Cholestrol - 241, Triglycerides - 248, LDL - 157, HDL - 35. Since these levels are rather high, my family physician has recommended I take Statins for 2 months in addition to diet changes. Do you agree that medicine is desirable or do you think I should stick to diet and lifestyle changes only for now?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 56 minutes later

I agree with your family physician.

First of all your lipids are abnormal, the total cholesterol, TG and LDL are high. You should take drugs.

But, statins will not take care of low HDL that you have. Only exercise can raise it.

This is very common now days to have disturbed profile in young age. This is result of today’s stressful life, lack of exercise and poor diet habits.

You should take this drug on regular basis. Once your lipids comes with in normal range and if you can maintain it with diet and exercise you can stop the drug.

After that please get it checked on regular basis at least once in 6-12 months.

Do follow the diet advice and exercise advice given by your doctor.

Do regular exercise and maintain healthy life style.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.