Done lipid profile test. Do I have to start taking medicine?

my cholesterol is 212
Triglycerride is 81
HDL is 45
LDL is 150

Do I have to start taking medicine
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
From your reports, your total cholesterol and LDL is only borderline raised. The HDL levels are slightly on a lower side.
Right now you need to start with the lifestyle modifications to control the raised cholesterol levels.
To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking.
To decrease the LDL levels-
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber
4.     Increase aerobic exercise
Finally it is best to consult your doctor to help you in choosing the best cholesterol lowering agent in case these changes are not helpful. You need a regular monitoring of your levels every 2 months till the levels are controlled well.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.