Done lab work, urinalysis showed trace esterase. What does this mean?

I am a 56 year old female in good health. I had my annual physical last week including all lab work. My doctor called on Friday and said all my lab work work came back great! I always ask for a copy of my lab results and have a file going back years. I received my copy of the lab results and one thing has me confused. The urinalysis showed "TRACE" for ESTERASE. Everything else was negative and within normal limits. What does this trace of Esterase mean?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 16 hours later

Leucocyte esterase is the marker of urinary tract infection. However, it has no value when it alone is positive.

It should always seen along with rest of the parameters- Nitrites, leucocytes, erthyrocytes. As you have only esterase positive, it is essentially normal report and nothing needs to be done.

Hope this answers your query. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.
Follow-up: Done lab work, urinalysis showed trace esterase. What does this mean? 7 hours later
Thank-you Dr. Goel! The explanation eliveviates my concerns!

I am pleased to help you with your concern. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention, “Dr. Rajiv Goel”.

Also please do not forget to accept this answer and close the discussion if you do not have any further queries.

Wish you good health.