Ask a Dentist   »  

Done improper root canal, black tooth, swollen and painful gums, using hydrogen peroxide. Help

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I had a root canal years ago that the dentist did not finish properly. The tooth is black and now the gums above it feels like it's swollen and it hurts. I have been using Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) and it has helped but the pain still comes back. I am deathly afraid of dentists and cannot afford the cost either.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 4 hours later
Thank you for the query. The symptoms of the tooth clearly indicate the tooth needs re-root canal treatment. However dentist can tell the prognosis of re-root canal treatment only after seeing the IOPA x-ray. Use of Hydrogen peroxide will not help in these cases. You need not worry about dentists as there are lot of changes in the technology/procedures; it is much more comfortable than earlier days.

Hope tis answers your query. If you have anything to be asked, I will be happy to do so.
With happy regards,