Done fusions anterior discetomy. Difficulty swallowing food, hoarse voice. Done CT scan and barium swallow. Surgery recommended. Reason?

ENT Specialist
hi i had a 3 fusions anterior discetomy 5 mths ago i can't swallow food... liquid comes up my nose if i drink to fast... now i can hear my self breathe out of my right ear.. i am still in pain my voice sounds so horase.... i had a barrium swllow showed the hardware was pressing on the espohgus... the cat scan showed incoproation of the inervertbral graft at the endplates and mininal posterior spondylitic ahnge on on c6-c7 the doc is reommneding surgery to remove the cage and screws he said the reason thisi shappening is casue i am to skinny should i have the hardware removed and will it casue any problems on my espohgus after what do they do if the esphogus is bent? how do they fix myvoice box?
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 days later

Thank you for your query.

1. The dysphagia and hoarseness are inherent problems in many cases of anterior discectomy and fusion. Recovery may take many months.

2. However, post-operative patients usually recover in time and very few such patients have required further intervention in my experience.

3. The exact damage to the nerves and the pressure on the esophagus are important parameters in deciding the next move.

4 If you can share the results of your barium swallow and the images or video of a videolaryngoscopy, I will be able to guide you better.

5. Since the healing of the spine is proceeding well, one way to delay any immediate intervention is to get a Ryle's tube (stomach feeding tube) placed temporarily.

6. The esophagus is a muscular tube and is likely to recover well. If the cage and screws are causing the hold-up, they may then be removed later.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.