Ask a Dentist   »  

Done dental procedure without taking recommended dose of amoxicillin before procedure. Have arm pain. Result?

General Surgeon
I had a dental procedure without taking my recommended dose of amoxicillian prior to procedure What is the result?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Antibiotics are recommended prior to dental procedure if you have had heart valves replacement, heart valves problem (stenosis, aortal stenosis etc.), have had endocarditis. Persons with diabetes, immune deficiency, older than 65 can also use antibiotics prevention. But heart problems are the most important recommendation.
If you do not have heart problem and have missed antibiotics, most likely nothing wrong will happen. Antibiotic is just a precaution.

But if you have any mentioned heart disease (especially valve implantation), I suggest you to visit your doctor and have physical examination and consider full course of antibiotics.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Done dental procedure without taking recommended dose of amoxicillin before procedure. Have arm pain. Result? 3 hours later
The reason I am concerned is that I am having severe pain in my right hand and arm which has a lot of arthritis. No pain in my chest.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later
Such pain has for sure nothing in common with missed antibiotic. So you should not be concerned about it. Symptoms which should bother you are fever, cough, chills, shortness of breath, chest pain.
Severe pain in your right hand and arm can be caused by spine disc herniation, nerve compression in the elbow, nerve compression in the carpal tunnel (carpal tunnel syndrome). You can perform simple test: flex your wrist gently as much as possible and wait for about 1 minute. If numbness and pain appears or aggravates, carpal tunnel syndrome it is.
I suggest you to visit neurologist, have physical examination and Nerve Conduction Velocity test if necessary.

Hope this will help.