Ask a Urologist   »  

Done cystoscopy, white substance on pus, stringy. What could it be?

I had a cystoscopy this morning. When I wen to pee this evening I noticed a small amount of a white substance on the top of my penis it was not puss like but more stringy maybe. . I had not noticed it before. Could it be some of the local used that came out of the tip?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

Cystoscopy is a procedure where a tube is inserted in the urethra through the opening in the end of the penis.It allows the urethra and bladder to be assessed for any abnormal growths, polyps, strictures or any other problems.

It is normally done to diagnose the cause of pelvic pain,to check for any disorders of this aspect of the urinary tract and to check for any cancers that may be present.

As you stated, local anesthetic is inserted into the urethra prior to the procedure and it is this that you are seeing coming out of the urethral opening.

You may experience some pain post procedure but this should soon wear off.
If you experience any symptoms of infection such as fever, chills and severe pain or decrease in your urine output remember to contact your doctor.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions