Done colonoscopy due to constipation and adenoma. No family history of colon cancer. Reason for precancerous polyp?

I am 27 years old and i have a colonoscopy due to constipation and had a"sessile serrated adenoma" 0.7x0.4x0.2 cm big. the polyp was pre-cancerious; Absolutly NO colon Ca runs in my family ; in fact the only person who had cancer was my grandma who had lung cancer but she smoked. please tell me as I am very frightened how come im 27 and have a precancerous polyp? am i going to get cancer? it was removed via poylpectomy but its very scary being so young! im a 27 white female. I have no changed my diet to high fiber taking Metamucil , I take a multivitamin and antioxidant pill and I changed my diet to NO read meat and lots of fruits and veggies;
please advice as im scared
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vakul Aren 1 hour later

All Sessile Serrated Adenomas(SSA) or polyps are not related to malignancies,only there is a potential risk of their being premalignant/ malignant.Rest assured ,you need to be careful with your diet and weight and you need not develop colonic disease.

Let me put some stats here. The incidence of colorectal cancer is seen more in African Americans who have a race predilection for this disease.This disease shows epidemiological association with increased age,smoking,consumption of alcohol,a diet high in red meat and fats,obesity.The risk in the age group below 40 years is 0.07 .the risk increases if there is family history of colonic cancer,inherited colorectal cancer syndromes,first degree relative with this disease at a age less than 60 years,history of Ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.With no family history,young age ,a diet low in red meat and fats you would be at a very low risk for this disease.