Done cholesterol test, prescribed Rosuvas. Worried about side effects of medication

I'm 32 years old guy. My total cholesterol is 290. HDL Cholesterol Direct is 62. LDL is 198.Triglycerides is 149. TC/HDL ratio is 4.69. LDL/HDL is 3.21. VLDL is 29.70. My doctor advised to take rosuvas F 10 for 6 everyday after dinner for 6 months. He didn't give anything specifci abcout diet. Please let me know acbout this medicine, i'm worried about the side effects; i dont have any other medical cocndition. i smoke cigarettes and drink wine frequently. Please tell me the complication of this cholesterol data.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a cardiologist and dylipidemia (abnormally high values of one or more component of serum lipid) is considered as a risk factor for coronary artery disease. The good news is one and the only one component, which is good cholesterol, of lipid profile that is HDL, is high in you. It is called protective cholesterol also and it ought to be more than 40 mg% in men and 50 mg% in women. LDL in a 32 year old man ought to be 100 mg% and it is very high in you (other components like Triglyceride are upper limit of normal) therefore, your doctor has done the right thing and prescribed a good medicine for this. You are right in asking about side effects there are two side effects; first of which becomes evident in first week (Muscle Pain) and the second that is abnormal liver function tests by 4 weeks. For any of these two side effect there is no other way than to discontinue the drug. People take these drugs for years therefore you don't need to worry of long term side effects.
I beg to differ when you say you have no medical condition. You have raised cholesterol, you smoke and you take alcohol. Each cigarette is likely to reduce your longevity by few minutes, therefore advice for smokers remains: stop smoking. Limit your wine intake to not more than 200 cc of red wine (or 250 cc of white wine) at given time (total intake for a day). Take this also not daily but infrequently. Because, all three Cholesterol, Smoking and Excessive Alcohol intake are potential risk factors for heart disease which I am sure you do not want to develop. I would also suggest that you limit the intake of oil, ghee, junk food, sugar and sweets. Also, regular, moderate exercise like brisk walking for 30-40 minutes every day would prove beneficial. I hope that I have answered your question, if you have any further query you can write back.
With Good Wishes

Dr Anil Grover