Done cholesterol and liver test. Interpret report. Taking Crestor.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi I am 49 years old, about 168. My health is good, I am on Crestor low dose 5mg. My cholesteral and liver functions I get tested every 6 months. It been pretty good. The latest one came back for blood and urine testing.

SGOT was 49 seems high
Blood reflexive culture +3
RBC 30
Again Im on Crestor so making sure liver is ok,

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
You are doing the right thing by getting your regular liver check ups as you are on Crestor ( rosuvastatin ) which can have liver damage as a known sideeffect.
Your reports show a borderline increase in the liver enzyme sgpt ( normal range upto 30_ 40 iu/l)
which is not worrisome at present.
Crestor use can cause an increase in liver enzymes. If the increase is only mild, as in your case you can continue to take the drug. If the increase is severe, you may need to stop taking it, which usually reverses the problem. If left unchecked, increased liver enzymes can lead to permanent liver damage.
Another problem in your reports is presence of rbc( red blood cells ) in urine normally it should be absent .
It may indicate a renal damage.
It definitely warrants further investigation like renal function tests and urine culture.
Your culture if showing bacteria indicates infection and needs to be treated with antibiotics.
You should also be aware that Crestor can cause muscle breakdown ( rhabdomyolisis)& cause muscle proteins loss through kidneys causing renal damage.
If such signs noticed on renal function tests kindly consult your physician for stopping the drug.
As of now though your liver functions are not a concern you need to consult your physician for ruling out renal damage or urinary infection.
Hope I have answered your query.